This delicious coffee cake highlights the wonderful things we love about fall baking! The aroma of delicious spices as the cake bakes is worth making it alone!
2 cups all-purpose flour (260g)
2 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
1 teaspoon baking soda (5g)
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon (8g)
¾ teaspoon nutmeg (4g)
½ teaspoon allspice (3g)
½ teaspoon cloves (3g)
½ teaspoon salt (3g)
½ cup vegetable oil (120g)
½ cup melted butter, cooled slightly (120g)*
4 eggs, large
1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree (450g)
1cup brown sugar (220g)
1cup granulated sugar (200g)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
Crumb topping **
1 cup flour (130g)
½ cup brown sugar (110g)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (15g)
6 tablespoons butter, softened and cubed (90g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 13” baking pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt together in a mixing bowl until fully incorporated.
- Whisk the oil, melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin purée and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and fold in until no visible flour remains and a thick batter is formed. Do not over-mix! Pour into the prepared baking pan and set aside.
- Next prepare the crumb topping. Place the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl and whisk together. Add in softened butter pieces and rub it in the flour mixture until pea size clumps form and it resembles a coarse meal. Scatter the crumb topping all over the surface of the batter and press in slightly.
- Bake the cake in a 350°F oven for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out dry.
- *The melted butter gives a great flavor to the cake however using oil only works as well!
- ** Get creative with the topping by adding a drizzle of maple glaze icing or salted caramel sauce and toasted pecans or make it a la mode with your favorite ice cream!
Inspired by: Sally’s Baking Addiction