This is a really decadent dessert that combines eggnog, coconut rum, creamed coconut and gingerbread spices to make this really deliciously moist cupcake!
All the flavours work so well together and the fluffy buttercream with a hint of rum is the icing on the cake (literally)!
For the cupcake
- 11/4 cup cake flour (160g)
- 2/3cup sugar (140g)
- 11/4 teaspoon baking powder (6g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (3g)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil , melted (45g)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, vey soft (45g)
- 2 eggs, large, room temperature
- 1/2 cup eggnog, full-fat, room temperature (125g)
- 1/4 cup coconut rum (60g)
- 2 tablespoons creamed coconut (30g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (5g)
- 1/2 teaspoon gingerbread spice mix (3g)
For the coconut rum buttercream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (120g)
- 2 cups icing sugar (240g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1g)
- ¼ teaspoon gingerbread spices(1g)
- 1/4 whipping cream (60g)
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum (10g)
For the garnish
- Toasted sweetened coconut
Serving Size: 12 cupcakes
Prep Time:15 minutes
Baking Time: 20-22 minutes @ 350F
Step – by – Step Instructions
Step 1 - Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl
Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
Step 2 - Add remaining cupcake ingredients
Add the soft butter, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla and coconut extracts, eggnog and coconut rum to the flour mixture and cream together with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for about a minute. Start off slowly and gradually ramp up speed. Halfway through, scrape the sides down and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
Step 3 - Fill cups and bake
Fill 12 cupcake liners with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350F. Once a skewer inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, it’s ready. Let them stay in the pan for about 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 4 - Prepare buttercream
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl and sift the icing sugar, salt and gingerbread spice on top of it. Cream with a hand or stand mixer with paddle attachment for about 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add in the whipping cream and rum and continue whipping for another minute until light and fluffy.
Step 5 - Frost the cupcakes
Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with the buttercream and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake. Decorate with toasted coconut, enjoy!