Curds are a delicious addition to all kinds of food from cupcake and cookie fillings, to pancake toppings, (we actually used it as a topper for our coconut lime cheesecake baking kit) Once you discover just how easy it is to make at home, you’ll never go for the expensive, store-bought stuff again! You can use limes or lemons to make this recipe. It’s easy and comes together in under 10 minutes.
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lime or lemon
- 1/4 cup butter or (1/2 stick) cubed
- Place eggs, sugar, salt, juice, and zest in a medium saucepan. Do not put it over the heat yet.
- Whisk the ingredients together until smooth. Place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn all the way to low and add the butter. Stir until smooth.
- Strain curd to get a smoother texture and to remove any bits of curdled eggs or large pieces of zest.
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass bowl or jar. Cool.